getCurrentAttrib from nested lists

Cognitology mspape at cognitology.eu
Mon Jan 27 13:52:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

Totally agree, sometimes Things Happen! We should actually have put something along the lines in the big new, and finally “in press” (though still waiting for physical copies), E-Primer.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting question, though one I do not have an answer to – it doesn’t seem unreasonable to imagine getnextattrib just does not fill out also the nested list attributes. However, I wouldn’t have trusted .getnextattrib to begin with for this reason; you don’t actually skip rows but fill in the next row to the present one, no? What I generally do is:

·         To avoid unbalancing the experiment, I generally repeat whole blocks, not skip single trials. Keeping that in mind, imagine I have about 16 blocks, normally.

·         Write startup variable Nblocks, “Number of blocks”, default 16, minimal 1

·         Before running the block list (which has 1 procedure, blockprocedure, which has weight = 16), change the list to c.GetAttrib(“Nblocks”).

Now, if “things happen” or your participant started texting in block 1, was told off in block 2, and now you think it’s proper to punish them with 2 more blocks, just run the experiment again and have it set to Nblocks = 2.

Less elegant ways:

·         Alternatively, you could just count the current block and terminate the list.

·         You could skip from the beginning of the trial procedure to the end so that no responses are made, based on startup variable “SkipNTrials”, default at 0; add label (endoftriallabel) to end of trial and inline at the very beginning of the trial:

IF c.GetAttrib(“SkipNTrials”) > 0 THEN

    SkipNTrials = SkipNTrials – 1

    Goto endoftriallabel

END IF