Sound Capture Recording Quality

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:41:23 UTC 2014

Nina,

My experience is a bit limited, so I hope someone else here can help,
or you might consult a local sound engineer (try walking into any
place that caters to musicians).  Offhand, I wonder if you need that
preamp for the computer microphone input?  The preamp would boost the
microphone-level signal from the microphone to a line-level output,
which would be fine if you then plug this into a line-level input on
your computer, but most computers no longer have line-level inputs,
and if you plug a line-level output into a mic-level input you will
overdrive the input and get distortion.

I could not get any info on the Shure M10A (Google actually failed me
here!), but I also wonder whether that is a condenser vs. a dynamic
microphone, and whether it is balanced or unbalanced, all more things
that you have to pay attention to (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone ).  Yes, this can get rather
more complicated than you expect.  Around here for SoundIn we have
done pretty well with an ordinary stand-mounted unbalanced computer
microphone with 3.5mm TRS plug plugged directly into the microphone
jack of the computer sound card.

-- David McFarlane