Running Deduction with amount defined by user.

A KB research.jaslab.uchicago at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 23:08:28 UTC 2014

Hello,

This is my first time posting, but I  would just like to say I have greatly
appreciated the wealth of information people have shared on here regarding
issues in e-Prime, so thank you all so much :)

Okay, so my issue is as follows:  I am designing a task in which people
will be viewing a set of "fellow participants" (random faces) and will have
to decide how much "money" to allocate to each person presented on the
screen.  The amount they begin with is fixed and I have been able to create
a slide object (called Stimulus) that allows multiple choices (8 total) and
an echo client display box that allows the participant to view the amount
they have entered.  My problem starts here though, I would like for them to
enter one of the multiple choice number amounts and then hit {SPACE} to go
on to the next face, however, I need the amount they enter to give to that
person to also be subtracted from a global variable "total" (which has been
set at the beginning with an inline).  Unfortunately, as participants enter
an amount, I allow keyboard input of {SPACE} and {BACKSPACE} also, just in
case participants want to change their answer.  However, then my
Stimulus.RESP not only has numbers, but also includes {SPACE} and
{BACKSPACE} so I'm unsure how I am supposed to separate those from the
numbers, so I can update their total and display it to them in a Feedback
object (which i currently have included after the slide object stimulus,
but have set to "Total" - 10 just to see if it would work).

I know this is probably a lot, but I would be sincerely grateful for any
help on this matter.

Thank you in advance,
Annie