Overwritten file recovery

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Mar 31 18:56:18 UTC 2014

No.  That's why E-Prime asks you before it overwrites a data
file.  Perhaps, on subject-running stations, we should develop the
habit of never saying "Yes" to overwrite a data file (we could still
overwrite for test runs on development workstations).  And never use
Subject 1 Session 1 for a real run -- that is the default, and
inevitably someone will use that for a quick test run and will
overwrite existing data.

More detail:  E-Prime overwrites the .txt recovery file just about as
soon as you say Yes, so already too late there.  But it does not
write the .edat file until the end of the run.  So if you abort the
run before the end you will still have the old data in the .edat file
(and could use the .txt file to generate an .edat file from the new
data).  Otherwise you are sunk.

Unless, of course, you have the sort of resources availabe to the
National Security Agency of the United States of America.  According
to what I have read, as long as you use magnetic media, the
magnetization of each bit is a compendium of all previous writes to
that bit, and even more information about past writes may be found
slightly off the main track, so with sufficient resources one might
actually recover overwritten data (that is why, when you really do
want to make data unrecoverable, you need to do multiple overwrites
with random data).  But it hardly seems worth that much effort to
recover data from one subject run.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----