Errors running two movie objects back to back (white screen and audio problems for 2nd video)

Katie Jankowski katie.jankowski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 08:35:34 UTC 2014

I created an EPRIME task for an fMRI scan (timing is sensitive) but I am
having troubles running my video stimuli. In each trial, participants view
a fixation cross (text slide, 12000ms), a block introduction (text slide,
2400ms) , video1 (movie object, ~12000ms), and video2 (movie object,
~12000ms). Since I am using a block-design fMRI task, not event-design, I
want to treat Video1 and Video2 as 1 block. Thus, they are displayed back
to back.

Each video stimuli includes both audio and visual information. The
durations of each video are variable (approximately 11000ms-14000ms, some
11500ms, others 13500ms, others 12000ms, so I included a duration attribute
[VidDur1] and [VidDur2] for video1 and video2. respectively). The the final
"block" (video1 and video2 combined) is always 24000ms.

I am having several issues running the movie files. Video1 runs well, but
video2 has both visual problems (blank white screen) and audio problems
(starts about 2s into the clip, then after about 2s starts from the
beginning at 0s, then runs through the audio but ends early). I think my
problems might be related to preloading the stimuli, but I don't know what
to do. I have been emailing support for about 2 weeks without coming to a
solution, so I thought I would ask the google group. I have also looked on
the knowledge base, but I have not found a solution.

Currently, pre-release for video1 is set to 5000ms and pre-release for
video2 is set to 0ms (but I have also tried 5000ms for video2 with similar
results). Start and stop position are 0, stop after is set to "yes", stop
after mode is set to "nextonsettime", end movie action is "none", duration
is "[VidDur1]" and "[VidDur2]", and timing is "event". Under experiment
properties, "flip enabled" is selected and both "display" and "sound" under
"devices" are selected.

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

(As an aside, if I set "duration" to 12000ms for video1 and "duration" to
12000ms for video2 (instead of relying on an attribute to represent the
duration, I have the same problems. If I set the duration to "infinite" for
video1 and "infinite" for video2, only video1 runs, regardless if "stop
after mode" is set to "offsettime" or "nextonsettime".)