Randomly select from a list of stimuli but include breaks after a pre determined number of trials

Heath Matheson heathericmatheson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:24:54 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have an experiment in which I am showing 100 stimuli to participants and
am recording object names. I would like to show 20 images, randomly
selected from the 100, then have a break, then show another randomly
selected 20 images, etc, until all 100 have been shown across 5 blocks with
breaks in between them.

My experiment looks like this:

SessionProc
---Instructions
---Blocklist (with one level)
-------Triallist (with a list of all 100 stimuli)
-------TrialProc
-------------Fixation
-------------SlidePicture
---End

So right now, I can show the 100 images randomly all the way through. I
think to introduce breaks I need to play with nesting but everything I am
doing doesn't work and seems overly complicated. The problem is easily
solved if I don't worry about randomizing the presentation of all 100
stimuli but this is an important part of the experiment.

Any suggestions for how to include periodic breaks?

Thanks!

Heath