Randomly select from a list of stimuli but include breaks after a pre determined number of trials

Heath Matheson heathericmatheson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:03:12 UTC 2014

Here is the solution, provided by friendly Alexandre Comte:

- In the Blocklist define 2 levels. The first one is for the TrialProc
(weight=20) and the second one for the BreakProc (weight=1).
- In the properties of Blocklist, set the number of cycles at 5, with a
sequential order.
- TrialList: random order
- finally insert your break in the TrialProc

Heath

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Heath Matheson <heathericmatheson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an experiment in which I am showing 100 stimuli to participants and
> am recording object names. I would like to show 20 images, randomly
> selected from the 100, then have a break, then show another randomly
> selected 20 images, etc, until all 100 have been shown across 5 blocks with
> breaks in between them.
>
> My experiment looks like this:
>
> SessionProc
> ---Instructions
> ---Blocklist (with one level)
> -------Triallist (with a list of all 100 stimuli)
> -------TrialProc
> -------------Fixation
> -------------SlidePicture
> ---End
>
> So right now, I can show the 100 images randomly all the way through. I
> think to introduce breaks I need to play with nesting but everything I am
> doing doesn't work and seems overly complicated. The problem is easily
> solved if I don't worry about randomizing the presentation of all 100
> stimuli but this is an important part of the experiment.
>
> Any suggestions for how to include periodic breaks?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Heath
>

>  --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/ec6e081f-cb87-4475-9611-47d985f88d0a%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/ec6e081f-cb87-4475-9611-47d985f88d0a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

*Heath E Matheson PhDPostdoctoral Fellow*
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
University of Pennsylvania
3720 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA