Image remains visible at 1ms presentation time

JoAnn Silkes jsilkes at uw.edu
Thu Oct 2 15:19:57 UTC 2014

So far as I understand it, it's not possible to get as fast as a 1 ms
presentation rate due to the limitations of the refresh rate of the
computer monitor. With a 100 Hz refresh rate, the quickest presentation
that you can achieve is 10 ms; you would need a 1000 Hz refresh rate for a
1 ms presentation, which I don't think exists. I've also found that,
depending on the computer I'm using, sometimes asking EPrime to present
something for just a single frame (i.e., 10 ms when the refresh rate is 100
Hz), the processor can't quite keep up and it ends up dropping frames, so
the minimum I can really do is two frames (in this example, 20 ms). My
guess is that you've got a mismatch between refresh rate and requested
exposure duration, and that's throwing everything off.

Another thing to think about is whether you're using masking, or just
relying on the rapid presentation rate. Perception of extraordinarily brief
presentations is still likely, especially for images, if you don't have
adequate masks present.

Good luck figuring it out.

JoAnn.