Why Netiquette matters...

Ron Smyth smyth at utsc.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 10 18:45:05 UTC 2011

More stinking flaming.  What is WRONG with you people?  If you don't like
something that someone says, why can't you say so in a civil tone?
Thomas, the problem with flaming is that you make yourself look worse than
the person you are castigating.  You have definitely accomplished that
here.  I don't know you, but given what you have just written I have no
desire to ever come across you.

None of this is academic.  There's no place for it on an academic list.
If the members can't control their base urges why not either shut it down
completely or block each person immediately when they send a flaming
message?  No need to moderate beforehand.  Let them spew their venom and
then forever hold their pace.  Then let's get back to work.
ron

Ron Smyth, Associate Professor
Linguistics & Psychology
University of Toronto