upcoming vote

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at CSUCHICO.EDU
Wed Jul 28 19:39:21 UTC 1999

Recently we called for input on a philosophy statement for gala. Some people
suggested modifying an earlier statement to the following:

GALA (or whatever name we come up with) is an organization that seeks to
promote research on the interaction of gender and language.  This field of
scholarly inquiry began developing in response to feminist concerns about
the ways in which sex, power, and language connect to one another. Queer
theorists have brought the linguistic dimensions of sexualities and
heterosexism into the picture.  Critical studies of language and racial
identities, ethnicities, and masculinities have also expanded the field far
beyond what was included under the early "women and language " rubric.  GALA
is being started to help foster more regular productive exchange among
scholars of language and gender with many different research emphases and
orientations and from diverse disciplinary backgrounds.

Unless there is further input, we would like to vote whether to accept this
as gala's philosophy statement July 31-August 5. Please feel free to make
suggestions for modifications and inclusions until July 30.  Naming will be
considered separately, but proposals for names are still welcome.

Kira, Mary, Megan, Sara

Dr. Sara Trechter
Asst. Professor Linguistics/English
CSU, Chico