implementation

George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin ocls at IPA.NET
Mon Mar 1 13:48:47 UTC 1999

------------------------------
Date:    Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:11:52 -0500
From:    Chris Beckwith <beckwith at INDIANA.EDU>

A brief comment on Suzette Haden Elgin's brief comment:  She is quite
right about not needing lawyers; I failed to mention this in my earlier
remarks.  About the substantial funding, though, there is a trick to it
that they don't tell you, namely that there is a three-year probationary
period during which the fledgling organization should not accept any
but very small donations from the members themselves.  After non-profit
corporate status is finalized, any donations are okay.  I found this out
the hard way and nearly was denied non-profit status.  Otherwise, it
really is a simple process.

A brief followup comment..... The regulations that apply to nonprofit
corporate status are not the same as those that apply to nonprofit
organizational status. If GALA intends to go corporate, that's different;
lawyers become far more relevant. At the moment the group looks to me like
an educational organization rather than a corporation.  I may have
misunderstood, of course.

Suzette