Question about resources

Lisa DeWaard Dykstra lisa.dewaard.dykstra at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 30 18:44:52 UTC 2007

Dear IGALA List Subscribers,

I am currently working on a conference paper and am having a difficult time
finding resources for the specific problem I am trying to address in my
work. In my dissertation work on perceptions of politeness (specifically I
investigated whether non-native learners of Russian perceived the
sociocultural weight of the manipulation of address pronouns in a listening
task) I found that the only statistically significant variable in my study
was gender, with female learners outperforming male learners consistently at
two different institutions. By the time I had determined this result I no
longer had access to my informant populations so I was unable to interview
the learners to try to figure out what about their listening caused them to
react to the material differently. The explanation I gave in my dissertation
-- that men and women were listening differently, but I didn't know why --
was all I was able to say at that point. Now I am interested in pursuing
further why this difference came about, but I am having a difficult time
finding sources to consult. Has anyone on the list come up against a similar
finding?

Thank you for your time,
Lisa

--
Lisa DeWaard Dykstra, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Spanish and Second Language Acquisition