MA in Gender and Language?@Carmen

Maria Lucia Rocha Coutinho mlrochac at IMAGELINK.COM.BR
Wed Nov 17 22:39:54 UTC 2010

Sorry to say Anna, but people in Gender Studies in Brazil might be more open minded than you think they are.  It seems that you only looked for people and courses in the Linguistic Dept. in Rio, so you should not generalize.  Gender has an interdisciplinary nature ever since the first Centers for Women's Studies were created in the USA in the 1970's. I myself took profit of it, taking courses in several different Departments while I was a Graduate student in Psychology in California during this period.  The Conference on Gender Studies "Fazendo Gênero/Doing Gender", mentioned by Carmen Rosa Caldas-Coulthard is a good exemple of that. So, I suggest that you search for Gender courses in other Departments of both UFRJ and PUC-Rio.
Maria Lúcia Rocha-Coutinho.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Anna Serpa
  To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:13 PM
  Subject: Re: [GALA-L] MA in Gender and Language?@Carmen

          Carmen,

          I´d be more than glad if you could send me the names of the professors and research lines at PUC and UFRJ. I was a student at UFRJ , left the MA in 2006 and I am also aquainted to Professor Heye at PUC - at present he´s retired -  who saw my work, really liked it, but said the same as all others, concerning the scope of it.

          Speaking as a carioca researcher and ex student, I guess the problem is the way things are organized at  research in Rio Unis - I mean in Languages. It is conservative, at least in RJ, and by conservative I mean procedures, course structure and professors in general. For instance, at UFRJ, just as an example, people who were part of the Sociolinguistic  group had to take Gerativism as a mandatory course and the other way round simply didn´t happen. Dissertations on something that´s new are simply discouraged, they tell students to "leave it for the doctorate" - yes, in Rio we can´t go for Doc. straight even if the student has something great in hands.  We have to take the MA first, and dont´mind me saying, waste time on subjects that are simply off of our work, specially if inedit. I have ex students that are taking the MA in UERJ, UFRJ, PUC-RJ, UFF, brilliant ones who say that MA is a waste of time, it´s sometimes even devolping the original work of head professors, so they do it just to get the title and that´s it. They leave to Unis abroad, just like you and many others. It´s terrible for Rio and Brazil as a whole. This is the panoram I have been facing since 2005. But I don´t know about the rest of Brazil. I know that Rajan has made great changes in Unicamp and that USP is more open, but for the moment, I can´t leave Rio.

          I can´t really recall anyone or any line who could host my studies and believe me, I have searched all over RJ. I don´t want to leave Brazil or Rio, but if you´d like it, I could send you an abstract and maybe you could tell me where could it fit in Santa Catarina. I´d really appreciate it, I was about to give up.

          Thanks in advance,

          Anna