'Boyfriend style'

Robert Lawson Robert.Lawson at BCU.AC.UK
Mon Dec 3 22:02:48 UTC 2012

I knew that the term rang a bell!

American Eagle seem to be involved in this trend as well (http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category.jsp?catId=cat1930004), although I'm sure Gap, Urban Outfitters etc also have clothing lines along the same theme.

Rob Lawson

________________________________
From: International Gender and Language Association [GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] on behalf of Sarah Wagner [swagner at UTEXAS.EDU]
Sent: 03 December 2012 21:39
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: [GALA-L] 'Boyfriend style'

I can't stand the trend either.  It has been around for a while, without the name, in lots of visual media--I think you can find discussions of it in classic 2nd wave literature, even the movie about ads and feminism Killing Us Softly.  It's the classic women looking smaller and cuter and more helpless in the oversized shirts style; women looking more feminine in masculine clothing.  Been irritating me since young women in the 90s in college would wear sleeves that were too long, with just their little fingers poking out because, goodness, having a full set of hands would just be so...masculine?  Grr.