Fwd:The Traveller's Poem (1/15/2012; 5/24/27/2012) USA - & - Charles Dickens: Births, Deaths, and Marriages (5/15/2012; 10/19-20/2012) Greece

Chris chris.trundles at TISCALI.CO.UK
Fri Jan 6 14:08:03 UTC 2012

of interest? pass on as you wish
- Chris

>The Traveller's Poem
>

>full name / name of organization:
>Society for American Travel Writing
>contact email:
>vogel at kutztown.edu
>
>The Society for American Travel Writing seeks paper proposals for a
>panel to be hosted at the 2012 American Literature Association
>Conference to be held at the Hyatt Regency at Embarcadero Center in
>San Francisco, CA, May 24-27 2012.
>
> From the early eighteenth century with Ebenezer Cooke and Richard
> Lewis to the twenty-first century with Campbell McGrath and Mark
> Doty, American poets have made their travels, both near and far, a
> subject for their work. The SATW invites presentations on travel
> poetry for the 2012 annual conference. We seek compelling
> presentations on travel poetry representing all eras of the
> American experience; regional, national, and international travel;
> and lyric, narrative, or other poetic forms. One question we are
> interested in exploring is how poetry can be distinctive in its
> representation of travel.
>
>Please send 300 word proposals by January 15, 2012 to Andrew Vogel
>at <mailto:vogel at kutztown.edu>vogel at kutztown.edu or Melanie
>Scriptunas at <mailto:mscript at udel.edu>mscript at udel.edu. For further
>information, please consult the ALA website at
><http://www.americanliterature.org>www.americanliterature.org .
>
>*       *        *
>
>IABA-L: A LIST FOR LIFE WRITING
>International Auto/Biography Association
><http://www.theiaba.org/>http://www.theiaba.org/
>
>Craig Howes, list manager
>craighow at hawaii, biograph at hawaii.edu
>Center for Biographical Research, University of Hawai'i at Manoa
>On Facebook:
><http://www.facebook.com/CBRHawaii>http://www.facebook.com/CBRHawaii

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

CALL FOR PAPERS

CONFERENCE TO BE HELD AT THE ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI,
GREECE, OCTOBER 19-20, 2012

To be organized by the Department of English, Aristotle University of
Thessaloniki and The Department of English Language and Literature,
Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey.

Co-organizers: Valerie Kennedy (Bilkent) and Katerina Kitsi (Thessaloniki)

CHARLES DICKENS: BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, DEATHS

In Dickens?s bicentenary year we wish to invite proposals for papers
on crucial thresholds, moments of transition, and life cycles as
these are represented, questioned or complicated in Dickens's
writings. We invite contributions that explore these topics,
including but not limited to papers which focus on the following:
1)Births (birth rituals; births of boys vs. birth of girls;
legitimacy and illegitimacy; birth and class identity vs. innate identity);
2)Marriages (marriage and money; marriage and love; sadistic and
masochistic marriages; marriage and theatrical performance);
3)Deaths (death by murder; death by drowning or 'accident'); funerals
and theatrical performance; death and gender and social class).

Guest speakers:
Michael Hollington
One other (to be announced)

Please send an abstract of 250 words to both Valerie Kennedy
(<mailto:kennedy at bilkent.edu.tr>kennedy at bilkent.edu.tr) and Katerina
Kitsi (<mailto:katkit at auth.gr>katkit at auth.gr) by May 15th 2012.

craighow at hawaii, biograph at hawaii.edu