[gothic-l] Sum Wulf

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Mon Jun 5 04:22:33 UTC 2000

>      This was a post from another list. I was only able to translate three
words ains wulf sa grews that is all. I had been waiting for promission to
post this, since I had not heard anything but I will go ahead and post it.
I believe it came from Sara Higley. It was translate from OE into English. I
have this in Modern German on a sheet of paper in my room.  Someone else
will have to attempt this because my Wright's Glosses are incomplete.

        Sum wulf   (oththe AN wulf)

> [...]
> the wolf is called in Germanic cultures "the gray one"--a taboo
> variant.  For "hembra," I prefer the wonderful Germanic "wo"lfen,"
> here in Old English _wylfen_.  It is, after all, a "she-wolf" that
> he's seeking, more specifically than "the female"!
>
> No words for "reflect" that I could find, so I turned the sentence
> around a bit.  I had to improvise with _thyrst_; OE has _thyrstan_,
> "to thirst," and _thyrstig_, "thirsty," but no recorded use of
> "thirst" as a noun... that is if I'm reading my Bosworth and Toller
> correctly.
>
> Sarah
>
> Text and Wayne's translation:
>

> >                 Un lobo
> >                 One Wolf
> >
> > Furtivo y gris en la penumbra última,
> >      Furtive and gray in the last twilight,
> > Va dejando sus rastros en la margen de este río sin nombre
> >      He goes leaving his trail on the bank of this nameless river
> > Que ha saciado la sed de su garganta y cuyas aguas no repiten estrellas.
> >      Which has quenched the thirst of his throat and whose waters don't
> > reflect the stars.
> > Esta noche, el lobo es una sombra que está sola
> >      This night, the wolf is a solitary shadow
> > Y que busca a la hembra y siente frío.
> >      Looking for a female and feeling cold.
> > Es el último lobo de Inglaterra.
> >      He is the last wolf of England.
> > Odin y Thor lo saben.
> >      Odin and Thos know about him.
> > En su alta casa de piedra un rey ha decidido acabar con los lobos.
> >      In his high house of stone a king has decided to do away with
> > wolves.
> > Ya forjado ha sido el fuerte hierro de tu muerte.
> >      The strong iron of your death has already been forged.
> > Lobo Sajón, has engendrado en vano.
> >      Saxon wolf, you have fathered in vain.
> > No basta ser cruel.
> >      A crueler fate there could not be.
> > Eres el último.
> >      You are the last.
> > Mil años pasarán y un hombre viejo te soñará en América.
> >      A thousand years will pass and an old man will dream of you in
> > America.
> > De nada puede servirte ese futuro sueño.
> >      That future dream will be of no use to you.
> > Hoy te cercan los hombres que siguieron por la selva los rastros que
> > dejaste,
> >      Today the men who followed the trail that you left through the
> > woods surround you,
> > Furtivo y gris en la penumbra última.
> >      Furtive and gray in the last twilight.
> >
> >              - Jorge Luís Borges

> Sarah L. Higley                            slhi at troi.cc.rochester.edu
> Associate Professor of English                office:  (716) 275-9261
> Director of Undergraduate Studies in English  office:  (716) 275-0883
> The University of Rochester                   fax:     (716) 442-5769
> Rochester NY, 14627
> Py dydwc glein / O erddygnawt vein?
> "What brings a gem from a hard stone?"               Book of Taliesin

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World

Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental deletes,
overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.