[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Nov 1 10:15:34 UTC 2000

Dear Dirk,

as I wrote in a post some minutes ago, the Slavic word metsh is a
borrowing from Gothic. The Gothic word has cognates in other old
Germanic languages, for instance Old Saxon maki (with long [a])
"sword". These words show the regular correspondence:
East Germanic long [e] ~ West Germanic long [a]
Thus it appears to be a Common Germanic word (otherwise, if the Goths
would get the word from Slavs, and the Saxons from the Goths, it
should be in Old Saxon *meki, not maki). There are the Slavs who
borrowed the word from Gothic, with the same phonetic changes like,
for instans, in:
Slavic letsh < Gothic lekeis < Celtic.

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILAG

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:

> In fact, there is larger study by Georgy Vernadsky called 'Goten und
> Anten in Suedrussland' (i.e. Goths and Anti in southern Russia), in
> which he decribes strong relations between Goths and slavic people
> from very early on. I can not remember if he counts Anti as Slavs,
but
>  I think he explaines that the Anti were wellknown sword smiths (I
> think there is a reference to an Anti-made sword in Beowulf) and a
> borrowing of the presumeably slavis word for sword by the Goths is
> possible.
> Dirk
>

> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> > For supposedly Crimean Gothic myha = sword (Gothic, mekeis) a
slavic
> > origin could be possible. In Russian a sword is called metsh,
which
> > does sound similar to myha.
> > Dirk
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...>
wrote:
> > > As I wrote in a post some days ago, there are also other words
in
> > > Busbecq's list that are rather Gothic than High or Low German,
for
> > > instance:
> > > fyder "four" (Go. fidwor)
> > > mine "moon" (Go. mena)