[gothic-l] Germanic Migrations

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Nov 1 16:56:23 UTC 2000

Having been waiting for the latest book on these
issues _The Role of Migration in the History
of the Eurasian Steppe_(ed. A. Bell- Fialkoff),
London:Macmilan, 2000) I am pleased to note
that the editor is of a view of a southern
Scandinavian origin:

"Musset (a French scholar, my note) placed their Urheimat
(the Germanic peoples, my note) in southern Scandinavia
in the late Bronze Age, an area where no pre-
Germanic linguistic substratum had been found
(p. 4). From there some Germanic tribes spread
along the Baltic coast, toward the Oder. Others
followed the coast of the North Sea, toward the Weser.
By 1000 BC, according to Musset, German habitat stretched
from the Ems to central Pomerania (Demougeot dated
their appearance in Pomerania much later, from 400 BC [
Demougeot, 1969, 45]. If we follow Musset, by 800 BC
Germans reached Westphalia in the West and Vistula
in the East. And 300 years later they could be found on the
lower Rhine, in Thuringia and Lower Sileasia (Musset, I, 4)."

Lucien Musset, _Les invasions: les vagues germanique_, Paris:
Presses universitaires de France, 1965.

Emilienne Demougeot, _Le formation de L'Europe et les
invasions barbares_, Paris: Editions Montaigne, 1969-1974.

More later with a review of the book.

Germanically

Bertil

eGroups eLerts