[gothic-l] Germanic Migrations

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Nov 2 13:32:18 UTC 2000

Dirk,

Thank you for this info. When did the excavations
take place and what conclusions did the archaelogists
draw from the results: that the origin of the
Germanic peoples was in Saxe-Anhalt and Thuringia
or did they speculate on an earlier migration
from Scandinavia?

Meanwhile I wish you a happy Halloween or allhelgona-
helg, whatever your preference is.

Germanically

Bertil

> It will be very interesting to see how Musset accounts for Germanic
> archeological finds in Thuringia and Saxe-Anhalt dating from at least
> 1200 BC if the Germans arrived only around 500 BC. (See for example
> the  recent excavations at Osterrode and the Proto Germanic
> Scacrifical cave were some 37 skeletons with Proto-Germanic artifacts
> have been found, dating suggest at least 1800 BC).
>
> Dirk
>

> > Lucien Musset, _Les invasions: les vagues germanique_, Paris:
> > Presses universitaires de France, 1965.
> >
> > Emilienne Demougeot, _Le formation de L'Europe et les
> > invasions barbares_, Paris: Editions Montaigne, 1969-1974.
> >
> > More later with a review of the book.
> >
> > Germanically
> >
> > Bertil

> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html