[gothic-l] Germanic Migrations

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Nov 2 15:30:25 UTC 2000

> One short question. If the first Germans came to this area say
> Thuringia in 500 BC from Scandinavia as you seem to suggest, who was
> living there before this. The area was never settled by Celts. Were
> they the remnants of the earlier megalithic cultures?

Dirk,

Cannot possibly speculate on that. First I would have
to have some more info on the diggings. And I am no
expert on the pre-history of Thuringia and Saxe-Anhalt.
Maybe I can come back to the question later. The main
question is, I guess, if these finds were really
proto-Germanic. Remains also the possibility of an
earlier migration from Scandinavia so that the
migrators reached these areas earlier. That is of course
just speculation.

Germanically

Bertil