[gothic-l] Germanic Migrations

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Nov 3 13:00:16 UTC 2000

Dirk,

It is always interesting to note the views
of linguists on these matters but the
picture cannot be complete without
historians and archaelogists.

I am not sure how to interpret the views
by Elert on the origin of Germanic peoples.
Could you maybe provide an interpretation?

Germanically

Bertil

> My view is that the spread of the Germanic language took place in
> 1000-500 BC, most likely around 700 BC. I would not use the word
> "settlement" . There is no reason to assume an invasion or massive
> migration, rather a language shift.

> It is generally assumed that there was a Germanic-speaking population
> in parts of NW Germany aroudn 1000 BC. The hypothetic language shift
> could be due to influence (and limited migration) fron this area into
> Scandinavia. Other possibilities cannot be excluded. The Bronze Age
> is
> period of much commerce and other connections between tribal
> societies
> in Europe. There are linguistic traces of  early contacts between
> Germanic and the Baltic languages.

eGroups eLerts