[gothic-l] Germanic Migrations

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Nov 3 15:10:36 UTC 2000

Dirk,

I thought Elert and Dahl were linguists. Their theories
are of course of limited value and as you say, there
are no records so the field is pretty much open
for specualtion. Dahl and Elert are no doubt
interesting speculators and as long as their theories
have not found the way into the history books they
must be regarded as peripheral.

Germanically

Bertil

> we are speaking about a time were there are virtually no written
> documents in our area. So the usefulness of historians, as you
> suggest, is limited and linguists and archaeologists take centre
> stage. Elert, Dahl, Udolph and others bring together the latest
> findings from the archaeogical side (I have refered to these
> excavations earlier, Jastorf and Pre-Jastorf cultures) with the
> latest linguistic research on early Germanic languages. Both fit
> remarkably well and even the first (tentative) genetic studies tie in
> neatly.
> All in all, we are witnessing the undoing of the old 'Common Nordic
> Hypothesis', i.e. the end of the 'out-of-Scandinavia-Theory' in the
> Germanic 'Urheimat'-debate.

eLerts