[gothic-l] Re: Ashkenaz

MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Thu Nov 9 14:54:00 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, sig <sigmund at a...> wrote:
> So Askenazim, the upper jewish layers in Israel of to-day, are in
> effect Scythians! I say. Do the Sefardim know that? ...
> In everyday practice ashkenazim are "east
> European jews" (Polish, Ukranean descent mainly). How come? The
> Jewish migration to eastern Europe occurred in
> medieval times and are not descendents of the Khazars, ...

No. When Jews needed a Hebrew word for specifically European Jews,
they likely took the name Ashkenaz at random out of the Bible. Likely
by then they had long forgotten about Scythians. Same as that the name
of the village of Zarephath {written Ts-R-P-T) / Sarepta / Sarafand
near Tyre was re-used as a Hebrew name for France, perhaps because
Ts-R-F-T written backwards is roughly the same as the Hebrew spelling
of the name "France". Same as that European Jews in former times
sometimes referred to particular hostile neighboring Gentile peoples
as "Midianites" etc.

eGroups eLerts