[gothic-l] Gothic in Romance Languages Part 2 (G-K)

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Thu Nov 16 14:32:36 UTC 2000

Thank you Matt for the "Gothic words borrowed into Romance
(and other) languages". I'm astounded by finding such close
resemblance to contemporary Swedish words with many of them!

Of course Anthony A. is right in questioning if the sole
source must necessarily be Gothic, but seen the other way
around; why would the closest word forms be
Swedish/Scandinavian then rather than any other of the
contmporary germanic languages?

Talking about pimps.. to-days very active word in Sweden (in
all its usages, such as 'damned bitch', whore etc) is still
HORA (pronounced hu-ráh).

M. Carver wrote:
Gothic						modern SWEDISH:
> garba    sheaf    gerbe Fr; garba Pv, Ct, Arag	KÄRVE
> garwi?    ornament, gear    garbi NoPv		KARVNING
> goma    palate, gums    gome OFr			GOM (palate)
> grama    grief, sorrow    gramo It; grain Ofr; gram 	GRÄMA
> grimmiþa    fury, wrath, ire    grinta Lmb, Vnz	GRYMHET
> gruts    groats    gru OFr; grut Pv, Ct		GRÖT/GRÖPE
> haribairgo    lodging    albergo It; auberga Pv	HÄRBÄRGE
> harpa    harp    arpa It, Pv, Ct, Sp, Pt; harpe Fr	HARPA
> haspa, haspo    windlass, winch    aspo It		HASP(L)A
> koka    cake    coca Ct; coco Pv			KOKA (to boil)
> kramjan    press    ghermire It			KRAMA (to hug)
> krampa    clip, hook    grampa It, Sp, Pt		KRAMPA
> kratton    scratch    grattar It; gratter Fr		KRATTA
> kruka    jug, pitcher    cruc OFr; cruche Fr		KRUKA
> krukkja    crutch    gruccia It; crosse Fr; crosa Pv	KRYCKA
> kruska    bran    crusca It; krütse SEFr; krö Burg	KRUSKA

 The early Franks before their south expansion into Gaulle
were a small tribe and their origin close to the mouth of
the Rhine positions them in cvlose proximity to the Saxons
and other west germanic tribes. What can one assume about
their language(es) and the first-hand impact on the earliest
western group of latinized languages? What does one know
about the early Frankish tongue?

Seigmund