[gothic-l] Gothic in Romance Languages Part 2 (G-K)

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba algaba at GMX.NET
Thu Nov 16 19:09:52 UTC 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, M. Carver wrote:

> Here is part two of the continuing series in Gothic words borrowed into
> Romance (and other) languages.
>
> Pv  provencal
> It  italian
> Pt  portuguese
> Ofr old french
> Ct  catalan
> Sp  spanish
>
> Markers for less common languages-names make use of three to five
> characteristic letters (usually dialectal variants).
>

> II G-K
>
> ganon    yawn    ganar Sp [to win?]

Yes, Sp to win. I heard that it comes from gothic :
 gana --> ambition

> gans    goose    gansa, ganso Sp, Pt
> ganta    goose, wild    jante OFr; ganta Pv, Ct

Sp yantar --> to eat

> garba    sheaf    gerbe Fr; garba Pv, Ct, Arag

Sp garbo --> personal appearance, grace  (or garwi, garwon)

> garwi?    ornament, gear    garbi NoPv

> garwon    busk, prepare    garbare It; zerba Wallis.
> goma    palate, gums    gome OFr

Sp goma --> rubber, caucho

> grama    grief, sorrow    gramo It; grain Ofr; gram Pv

Sp grama  --> lawn ( a kind of grass), or something array-like
papel gramado --> paper of better quality with interlaced fiber
or something like that.

> greiseis    grey, aged    gris OFr, Pv, Ct

Sp gris --> grey

> grimmiþa    fury, wrath, ire    grinta Lmb, Vnz
> gris    terror, horror    Gresulf Sp
> gruts    groats    gru OFr; grut Pv, Ct

Sp gruta --> cave, cove,

> hagka    hip    anca It, Pv, Ct, Sp, Pt; hanche Fr
> haribairgo    lodging    albergo It; auberga Pv; aribergo Arcev; alibergo

Sp albergar, albergue --> lodging

> OPt
> hariggs    herring    aringa It; hareng Fr; arenc Pv

Sp arenga --> speech done by Captains to his soldiers  before battle

> harpa    harp    arpa It, Pv, Ct, Sp, Pt; harpe Fr
> harpon    grab, grasp    arpare OIt; harper Fr; arpa Lyon; arpar Sp

Sp harpon --> harpoon

> haspa, haspo    windlass, winch    aspo It; aspa Sp, Pt

> hnapps    bowl    anappo, nappo It; hanap Fr; enap Pv
> hriggs    ring    rang Fr; renc Pv, Ct
> kappon    remove the shell    cappare OIt; capar Sp, Pt
> karpa    carp    carpa Pv

Sp carpa -> a kind of fish.

> koka    cake    coca Ct; coco Pv
> kramjan    press    ghermire It
> krampa    clip, hook    grampa It, Sp, Pt
> krappa    hook    grappa It; grapa Pv, Ct, Sp; grappe Fr
> kratton    scratch    grattar It; gratter Fr; gratar Pv
> kreitan    screech, shriek    gridare, It; crider Engad; crier Fr; cridar
> Pv, Ct, OSp; gritar Pt
> kruka    jug, pitcher    cruc OFr; cruche Fr; cruga Pv
> krukkja    crutch    gruccia It; crosse Fr; crosa Pv; croza Sp
> kruppa    round mass    croupe Fr; cropa Pv; groppa It; grupa Sp, Pt
> kruska    bran    crusca It; krütse SEFr; krö Burg

Sp coscorron -> fried bread
Sp crujiente -> crunching (?)

> kundjan    increase    cundir Sp, Ct
> kuskeis    chaste    cusca Pv; cusch, cusca Ct; cusche[ment] OFr

Sp chusco --> not very friendly , startling, bad issue, treacherous

--
Regards/Saludos
Manolo