[gothic-l] Gothic in Romance Languages Part 2 (G-K)

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Thu Nov 16 20:41:55 UTC 2000

on 11/16/00 12:09 PM, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba at algaba at gmx.net wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, M. Carver wrote:

Hails, Manuel!

Some of your comparisons are indeed fitting. Some, however, I have a
suspicion might not be what they seem on the outside appearance, because the
definitions are so far removed and/or there are other sources than
Germanic/Gothic:

> Sp yantar --> to eat

I don't know this word's etymology.

> Sp garbo --> personal appearance, grace  (or garwi, garwon)

I would say this fits under garwi/garwon

>> grama    grief, sorrow    gramo It; grain Ofr; gram Pv
>
> Sp grama  --> lawn ( a kind of grass), or something array-like
> papel gramado --> paper of better quality with interlaced fiber
> or something like that.

I frankly can't see a clear semantic connection here. This Spanish word
probably comes originally from Latin gramen "grass."

>> gruts    groats    gru OFr; grut Pv, Ct
>
> Sp gruta --> cave, cove,

This must be more related to "Grotto" than groats, which are a kind of
cereal :)

>> OPt
>> hariggs    herring    aringa It; hareng Fr; arenc Pv
>
> Sp arenga --> speech done by Captains to his soldiers  before battle

Indeed this probably comes from a Germanic source, but not "hariggs" =
"herring" which is a kind of fish! :) It is from the same source as our word
"harangue", which means military circle or council. The Gothic form was
harihriggs.

Cheers,
Matþaius