[gothic-l] Gothic in Romance Languages Part 2 (G-K)

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 16 21:44:38 UTC 2000

<<On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, M. Carver wrote:

> Here is part two of the continuing series in Gothic words borrowed into

> Romance (and other) languages.

> Pv  provencal

> It  italian

> Pt  portuguese

> Ofr old french

> Ct  catalan

> Sp  spanish

> Markers for less common languages-names make use of three to five

> characteristic letters (usually dialectal variants). >>

Others have rightly pointed out that we really should compare other Germanic
languages too to make sure Gothic is the most plausible source... especially
with the Frankish influence on French and so on...

<< >

> II G-K

> ganon    yawn    ganar Sp [to win?]

Yes, Sp to win. I heard that it comes from gothic :

 gana --> ambition >>

Compare Fr. gagner "win, gain, earn" and of course English "gain"

<< > ganta    goose, wild    jante OFr; ganta Pv, Ct

Sp yantar --> to eat  >>

I suspect this comes from Latin ientare "to eat breakfast"

<< > garba    sheaf    gerbe Fr; garba Pv, Ct, Arag

Sp garbo --> personal appearance, grace  (or garwi, garwon) >>

If i's from the GOthic, I shoudl think it would be garwi, at least
semantically.

<< > garwi?    ornament, gear    garbi NoPv

> garwon    busk, prepare    garbare It; zerba Wallis.
> goma    palate, gums    gome OFr

Sp goma --> rubber, caucho >>

Spanish goma would come from Latin cummi (also spelled commi and gummi),
meaning (according to the Oxford Latin Dictionary) "a viscid secretion from
trees, gum." This comes ultimately from the Egyptian <qmyt> meaning "gum,
resin"

<< > grama    grief, sorrow    gramo It; grain Ofr; gram Pv

Sp grama  --> lawn ( a kind of grass), or something array-like

papel gramado --> paper of better quality with interlaced fiber

or something like that.

> greiseis    grey, aged    gris OFr, Pv, Ct

Sp gris --> grey

> grimmi a    fury, wrath, ire    grinta Lmb, Vnz

> gris    terror, horror    Gresulf Sp

> gruts    groats    gru OFr; grut Pv, Ct

Sp gruta --> cave, cove, >>

I assume this word would be from the same source as English (and Italian)
"grotto", which according to the American Heritage Dictionary is Vulgar Latin
*grupta from classica crypta "crypt"

<< > hagka    hip    anca It, Pv, Ct, Sp, Pt; hanche Fr

> haribairgo    lodging    albergo It; auberga Pv; aribergo Arcev; alibergo

Sp albergar, albergue --> lodging

> OPt

> hariggs    herring    aringa It; hareng Fr; arenc Pv

Sp arenga --> speech done by Captains to his soldiers  before battle >>

*Hariggs is a fish, Clupea harengus, called "herring" in English. I don't
know what it is in Spanish, but arenga would be cognate to English "harangue"
meaning "a long pompous speach; nagging" vel sim. This, according to AHD, is
from ME arang, OF arenge, harangue, Medieval Latin harenga "perhaps from
Germanic"... maybe someone out there can provide more useful information...

OK, I have no useful comments about the rest so far...

IUSTEINUS