SV: [gothic-l] Your opinions on this site...

M. mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Tue Oct 3 20:29:56 UTC 2000

on 10/3/00 6:33 AM, Francisc Czobor at czobor at cantacuzino.ro wrote:

> The entire Codex Argenteus, together with the Skeireins and the minor
> Gothic texts, are available on-line and for download on the "Wulfila
> Project" website (http://extranet.ufsia.ac.be/wulfila/).
> The translation of Genesis in Gothic, made by M. Carver, can be found
> on the "Gotish Bible Restoration Project" site
> (http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gutrazda/brp.html)
>
> Francisc

>> Another question: Has any one tried to translate the first two
>> chapters of Genesis to Gothic? Would one run into problems
>> with words? Or do the existing vocabularies already cover the
>> words needed to translate Genesis from (say) Greek to Gothic?
>> I would be interested in seeing a Gothic translation of
>> Genesis 1 and 2.

disclaimer:

Recent discoveries on my own part of Gothic vocabulary which I had not known
to exist before now make my translation somewhat too synthetic. Most usages
are directly or by secondary or tertiary means compared to their analogous
usages in the codex ambrosianus. the unbound bible page on the biola website
allows for multiple comparison among various english, greek, latin, and
other texts (including cod. ambr A & B!). i will attempt to update the
translation according to my new knowledge as soon as possible in order to
eliminate any neologism thus unnecessary. it is now come to my attention
that other earlier gothicists may have made translations in part of certain
verses or sections which i thought should not be overlooked in any case.

-Matþaius

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"