SV: [gothic-l] Your opinions on this site...

M. mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Tue Oct 3 22:27:29 UTC 2000

on 10/3/00 1:49 PM, keth at online.no at keth at online.no wrote:

> Matþaius wrote:
>
>> disclaimer:
>>
>> Recent discoveries on my own part of Gothic vocabulary which I had not known
>> to exist before now make my translation somewhat too synthetic. Most usages
>> are directly or by secondary or tertiary means compared to their analogous
>> usages in the codex ambrosianus. the unbound bible page on the biola website
>> allows for multiple comparison among various english, greek, latin, and
>> other texts (including cod. ambr A & B!). i will attempt to update the
>> translation according to my new knowledge as soon as possible in order to
>> eliminate any neologism thus unnecessary. it is now come to my attention
>> that other earlier gothicists may have made translations in part of certain
>> verses or sections which i thought should not be overlooked in any case.
>>
>> -Matþaius
>
> Ambrosianus A and B, those are indeed the ones I found!
> Are those "parts of" the Wulfila text - or are they independent sources?
> If there are overlaps, in what ways do they differ?
>
> I'll do some more reading now. But why don't you submit your version
> to the biola website? (it could be grouped with the "modern" translations)
>
> Keth

Someone else may answer the first question better than I.

As for the second, I have only the first chapter of Gen. and of Mat.
prepared so far, and those even are not fully checked. Perhaps when all is
complete, or as each book is complete, I will consider that. The
administrator of the "unbound" site is excellent. Once when I told him of an
error (some part of matthew in the wrong section) he corrected it almost
immediately and expressed interest in the fact that there were people using
the Gothic versions on the site. I'm sure he'd be open to such a thing as
you suggest. For the meantime I must practice bettering my waurdahuzd.

Matþaius

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.