R: R: [gothic-l] Gen. 3

Giuseppe Pagliarulo g.pagliarulo at TIN.IT
Thu Oct 19 15:10:02 UTC 2000

Matthaius melida:

>That's a great term. :)
I knew you would like it.:)

>1. to what extent should the articuloid be used at all, with "qens",
>"manna", "waurms", "frauja {sa} guth", etc.?

A suggestion for manna: no articuloid when the sense is "a certain
man" or "man(-kind)"; in the genesis you might use it when the term
clearly refers to Adam or whenever it is meant to be a way of
designating a person whose name you don't want to repeat ("Mr. X went
to the place Y. *The man* [sa manna] wanted to meet Mrs Z...").

>2. should the word "adam" be kept or translated as "mann(a)(n)"? In
the
>first case, I would have to include an articuloid with it to show its
case
>in certain places (i.e. dative especially); in the second case this
is
>simplified, but you don't hear the word "adam" which might be
important to
>the story.

I'd rather use adam. AFAIK Wulfila doesn't use the articuloid with
indeclinable names, letting their case be deduced from the context.

Hope this helps

Iosef Strawarila
                               Iþ gamain mis ist,
  hvaþro afleiþau; jainaþ auk aftra qima. (Parmainides)

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"