[gothic-l] The First Germanics on the Northern Shore of the Black Sea

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Mon Oct 30 00:10:22 UTC 2000

on 10/29/00 6:51 AM, keth at online.no at keth at online.no wrote:

> It therefore is not directly evident that "Boudeis"
> is connected with "bieten", since the Gothic noun
> connected to the Gothic verb BIUDAN rather seems
> to be BUSN -- though one would have to explain
> where the 's' in '-busn' came from. (?)
>
> Best regards
> Keth

Hails

I read about this form, which dates back to common Germanic, in the Journal
of Germanic Philology but I regret that I cannot say which volume it was in
or whose writing. It seems to come from bud- (-u- grade as in the past
participle) plus a direct dento-nasal suffix, i.e. -ð-sni- > -ssni- > -sni-.
Koebler lists this among the nasal suffixes in his gothic dictionary.

Matthaius

eLerts