[gothic-l] The First Germanics on the Northern Shore of the Black Sea

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Oct 30 10:55:31 UTC 2000

>on 10/29/00 6:51 AM, keth at online.no at keth at online.no wrote:
>
>> It therefore is not directly evident that "Boudeis"
>> is connected with "bieten", since the Gothic noun
>> connected to the Gothic verb BIUDAN rather seems
>> to be BUSN -- though one would have to explain
>> where the 's' in '-busn' came from. (?)
>>
>> Best regards
>> Keth
>
>Hails
>
>I read about this form, which dates back to common Germanic, in the Journal
>of Germanic Philology but I regret that I cannot say which volume it was in
>or whose writing. It seems to come from bud- (-u- grade as in the past
>participle) plus a direct dento-nasal suffix, i.e. -ð-sni- > -ssni- > -sni-.
>Koebler lists this among the nasal suffixes in his gothic dictionary.
>
>Matthaius

Well, that makes sense. So the clue lies in an original ð (edh),
which is dental, and hence generates an s-sound. Especially
if the tongue positions itself to pronounce a consequtive nasal
'n', it appears reasonable that an (at first) involuntary 's'
would get stuck inbetween the 'd' and the 'n'. If that is true,
it would then mean that the 'edh' is very old, since it had
already disappeared in Gothic. (I hope I read you correctly)
Thanks!

Keth

eLerts