[gothic-l] Confines of this List

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Mon Oct 30 18:03:13 UTC 2000

> <<But we are leaving the confines of this list and should continue any
> discussion on e-mail.>>'

Hails! Greetings!

When Eric created the list name he said the L stood for language. Indeed
ours was the very trifling, extracirricular one of wishing to fill in the
language and learn to communicate with it, much as the Englisc list was
created for OE. Seeking to expand our group, we found others, like-minded,
who were additionally interested in discussing Gothic history and culture,
to which we had no objections of course--for might not the one shed light on
the other, both illuminating mutually? What is more, were we not gladdened
to see them come to us who grasped the real meaning of "gothic"?

In little time, those of the academic background using Gothic-L as a forum
for scholarly discussion about the Goths (and all facets of their culture)
waxed significantly, and there ran approximately two veins of threads:
linguistic and cultural. In the former I may include inquiries on the gothic
texts as well as general grammatics and the "frivolous" reconstructive
pursuits.

In order to separate and weed out, as it were, the apparent "frivolous"
threads (which to be sure had more in common with the original purposes of
the list) from the list and thereby reduce the burden of uninteresting
messages to the majority, Gutiska was created, though being presently
sustained only by a barest diet of subscription; nevertheless it remains an
outlet for the more "creative" energies of those associated with gotica. But
in all of these things, it was increasingly apparent that the frivolity
could not survive and would not have done to this day had not the
professional zeals of academia and scholars nourished it according to their
varied credenda et agenda.

When asked whether a Germanic History List could be sustained, one must
conclude the positive. When asked whether such a list could concern itself
with the gotica, again a positive answer is given. The name of that list is
so broad across the shoulder that might support all and more. But the name
of Gothic-L is so narrow it can and must hold only the whole of gothic
studies. I cannot argue against the creation of a Germanic History List; I
have no intention of doing such. It is for us to look at a time of
separation and splitting not as the over-ripe fruit of dissension and
alienation, but as indication of growth, success, and most importantly,
individuation.

We remain behind our defining boundaries the more to enjoy the meanings of
the things which lay across those limits within their own boundaries--to see
them for what they are and have always been, and we taste their full flavor.
But just as nations which border each other and share common histories,
though differing somewhat, form pacts of political and commercial nature to
support and strengthen each other, Gothic-L and a Germanic History List
might do the same. I believe perhaps they should, that they would benefit
from it. But until a forum for the studies of germanic history in general be
founded, I cannot willingly chase out my compatriots as exiles without a
home.

ainfalþiba,
Matþaius Kerbeis
Administrator, Gothic-L