[gothic-l] Gaut

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Sep 14 14:27:11 UTC 2000

Need a credit card?
Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!

Jordanes in Chapter 79 (this might not be the
same numbering in other editions. I am using
the 1997 Swedish edition) mentions the first hero
of the Goths as being Gapt (Horum ergo heroum,
ut ipsi suis in fabulis referunt, primus fuit Gapt, qui
genuit Hulmul). This has generally been interpreted
as Gaut/Gapt being a god of the Goths of Scandinavian
origin.

It has been suggested tha *gautoz and *gutaniz (OSw)
are nomina agentis based on different ablaut grades
of the verb Sw gjuta, Germ giessen, 'to pour', in the
sense of *pouring out semen'. The theory involves
deeper genetic link in the fact that Gaut/Gapt occurs
as the name of the primogenitor of the Goths.

Gothically

Bertil