[gothic-l] Gaut

Brian Gendler gendler at ICDC.COM
Thu Sep 14 22:24:22 UTC 2000

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.

Hey, just some notes and a query for you.

> Jordanes in Chapter 79 (this might not be the
> same numbering in other editions. I am using
> the 1997 Swedish edition) mentions the first hero
> of the Goths as being Gapt (Horum ergo heroum,
> ut ipsi suis in fabulis referunt, primus fuit Gapt, qui
> genuit Hulmul). This has generally been interpreted
> as Gaut/Gapt being a god of the Goths of Scandinavian
> origin.
(cut)
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

In the Charles C. Mierow edition, it goes as follows...

"XIV (79) Now the first of these heroes, as they themselves relate in
their legends, was Gapt, who begat Hulmul. And Hulmul begat Augis; and
Augis begat him who was called Amal, from whom the name of the Amali
comes. This Amal begat Hisarnis. Hisarnis moreover begat Ostrogotha, and
Ostrogotha begat..." etc. ad nauseum.

Now my question, which may be a dumb one, but maybe not...

Is there a possibility linguistically that Gapt is also the root of Gepid?
The t=d thing seems logical, but I don't know enough about the
morphology of Germanic tongues to make a call here so its more a hmn,
that looks suspiciously close... I wonder why I haven't seen anyone
mention that? even if just to say that it isn't.
   so what do you folks think?
                Gendler.