[gothic-l] Ostrogothic or Visigothic Music- Visigothic Liturgy

Bocinero at WARWICK.NET Bocinero at WARWICK.NET
Fri Apr 13 12:46:25 UTC 2001

sunburst wrote:

>  After conversion, the Visigoths had their own liturgy, also known as
the
>  Mozarabic liturgy, which was probably originally developed in the
Eastern
>  Empire.

======================
As it may be of interest, just wanted to add that the Visigothic Liturgy
still exists and continues to be used today in some churches in Spain
(I've been fortunate enough to hear it).

There is an  entry about the Visigothic Rite (Liturgy) at the Catholic
Encyclopedia site :
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10611a.htm

(which, by the way, cites a source which " dismisses the idea of any
Oriental origin, and describes it as a purely Western rite", which
developed in Spain during the time of the Spanish Visigothic Kingdom.)

>  I have now written about half of the poems in Germanic Alliterative
Verse
>  that I will need in order to produce a CD of traditional music
featuring the
>  Gothic language.  In that project, I will be making use of some of
the
>  original Visigothic melodies.  I can't really effectively describe
how they
>  sound; you will have to hear them for yourself.
Excellent & good luck on this project. Of course when you are done you
will post it here, no?

Ramón Maldonado Domènech

Quemad lenos viejos,                               Burn old firewood,
Bebed vino viejo,                                     Drink old wine,
Leed libros viejos,                                    Read old books,
Tened amigos viejos,                                Keep old friends.

Don Alfonso X "El Sabio" Rey de Castilla, Toledo, León, Galicia,
Sevilla, Córdoba, Murcia, Jaén y Algarve (1252- 1284)