[gothic-l] Activity on the list

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Apr 19 15:41:16 UTC 2001

Maureen,

When you think the time is right you can visit the
Uppsala University Library webpage underneath.
There are links there to English language sources
on Wulfila's bible, which is the real basis for all
Gothic language study. There is among other stuff
a paper in English on the bible and how it ended
up in Sweden.

http://w3.ub.uu.se/arv/codex.cfm

A Belgian webpage promises to supply Wulfila's bible
electronically on the net. There is a link to their
English language webpage as well.

Gothically

Bertil Haggman

I am a new member of this group and will most likely observe for
a while.  However, I'll commence my Gothic Lessons as soon as
possible. I have a good grasp of history, and inherited some fine
Germanic bloodlines.  Just had one line traced back to Renaissance
Baden (yes, I know - a little out of the way) and presently working
on one for Hessen. As I was educated for many years,including
college, by Irish and German nuns,I understand (from personal
experience)how our Germanic/Gothic and Celtic cultures became
enmeshed.  Gerhard Herm wrote in his book "The Celts:The People Who
Came Out Of The Darkness" that the Celts had a god named "Teutates";
the early Irish had the concept of tuath.  Both "teuta" and "tuath"
merely meant people, and from this root emerged the word "deutsch."
Ref: pg 97. Looking forward to enjoying all the activity flourishing
on this list

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM