[gothic-l] Re: Attila

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Feb 12 15:08:56 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Anthony Appleyard wrote:
> >> ending), but the people who formed the core of 'the
> >> Huns' were probaly Turko-Mongolian.
> >
> >{ata} is Turkish for "father".
>
> I have a video about the Huns. In it, a map is shown,
> that shows the Huns coming from the area where Korea
> is now.
>
> There is also a relief picture of Attila in profile.
> It is somewhere in Italy - probably a church wall.
> There you can get an impression of what Attila
> may have looked like. It doesn't look like a typically
> chinese profile. Because the Chinese have very straight
> profiles (nose part in line with skull and chin)
>

> Keth

Hello Keth,

I think you should not take this relief picture of Attila too serious.
 It was made sometime during the Renaissance about 1000 years after
Attila's death. The only contemporary physical depiction of Attila is
said to be on a series of Roman solidi (gold coins). These coins show
on the reverse the Emperor treading on a snake with a human,
supposedly Attila's, head. These coins are fairly common and were
first minted by Valentinian III. However, the snake-head is so small
that no  physical characteristics are rendered. If I am not mistaken,
we do have a (not very flattering)  eyewitness description of Attila.

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details