[gothic-l] Re: Attila

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Feb 12 08:40:17 UTC 2001

Indeed, Attila means "little father" in Gothic.
But this doesn't mean necessarily that Attila himself was of Germanic
origin.
There are two possibilities:
1. "attila" was a nickname given to the Hunish king by his Germanic
subjects (like the nickname "papasha" = "little fahter" given by the
Russians to the Tzars and to Stalin)
2. "attila" is the Germanic interpretation (phonetic adaptation) of
the real name of the Hunish king.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., Fritscher <cfritsch at s...> wrote:
> I think the Huns were an Asiatic people related to the Mongols, but
within
> their ranks were the people they absorbed on their way. Germanic
people
> made up a large contingent of Attila's forces. Attila's name is a
Germanic
> name, meaning 'little father'.
> -Carl

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups