[gothic-l] Godheimar

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jul 5 12:03:50 UTC 2001

Keth,

The form -theud (people), was introduced for the
Gothic name Gut-thiuda, which in Old Norse
developed into Goththjod > Godthjod, the last
being the form used in the epic lay, The Battle
of the Goths and the Huns (Tolkien, _The Saga
of King Heidrek the Wise_ (1960), pp. 49,50,
53).

Now there developed the new stem *God- (<Got-),
from which the forms God-heimar/God-heimr and God-lond
were derived. Snorra Edda preserved the original
form Gotland as the epic name for Denmark. Edda
Smorra Sturlusonar, ed. F. Jonsson (1931), p. 135.

Gothically

Bertil

The reason is of