[gothic-l] Dan, Danai and the Greek Danoi

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 7 05:37:43 UTC 2001

Regarding the Danoi and the Illiad. I do not recall anyone mentioning
Saxo.

>From Saxo Grammaticus's Gesta Danorum, the History of the Danes:
Chapter I, paragraph I. The beginning.

Now Dan and Angul, with whom the stock of the Danes begins, were
begotten of Humble, their father, and were the governors and not only
the founders of our race. (Yet Dudo, the historian of Normandy,
considers that the Danes are sprung and named from the Danai.) And
these two men, though by the wish and favour of their country they
gained the lordship of the realm, and, owing to the wondrous deserts
of their bravery, got the supreme power by the consenting voice of
their countrymen, yet lived without the name of king: the usage
whereof was not then commonly resorted to by any authority among our
people.

Anþanareiks