[gothic-l] Teiws/Tuisto and Manna/Mannus

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 10 12:29:49 UTC 2001

Greetings!

>There isn't much similarity between "Gapt" and "Mannus" is there? No
one would dream of seeing "Gapt" as a  coruption in a Mannus-
script ;), would they?<

Nobody stated that Mannus was equated with Gapt or Gaut. As Fransisc
pointed out, Mannus is Sanskrit manu, ON maðr, proto-Germanic
*mannus, which corresponds to Gothic  manna "man".
In Germania, Mannus was begotten by Tuisto, or Gothic *Teiws.

" That Ares-Mars, in the form of the sword, was the divine father of
the Scythians, Getae, Goths, and Gauts was known to ancient
ethnography, which never tired of mentioning it. Among these peoples
the god of war had been born and now had died there as well, as a
Christian-Gothic apologist smugly remarked. The notion of Ares-Mars
as divine ancestor was appealing, and from it was derived a kinship
between Goths and Romans. The Christian apo;logist's sardonic remark,
however, was forgotten: it was most unwelcome if one celebrated Mars
as the common father of Goths and Romans.
    But what did the Goths name this god? The answer is surprising.
The false identification of the Goths and Getae now became a serious
matter. The Gutonic god of war, probably a manifestation of the
Germanic Tiwaz, took on the additional name of a Gothic Mars or Ares.
The latter is attested still today in the Bavarian Irchtag (Tuesday)
while a Gothic *Teiws (read: tëoos) can be derived from the runic
alphabet. West of the Dniester this high god may have been
called "the Terwing," for the Scandinavian Hervarasaga transmits the
name Tyrfingr as the designation for both the Gothic land and the
Gothic hereditary sword. The sword incarnation, however, is neither a
Germanic nor an especially Scandinavian phenomenon; instead, it is
the characteristic epiphany of the Black Sea Ares-Mars among all
ethnic groups. The Hervarasaga appears as credible evidence for such
an intensive cultic acculturation because it faithfully preserved
Gothic traditions." Wolfram, p. 109

A Dumezilian view of an Indo-Germanic view of  dual sovereignty would
be: Teiws/Tiuz is god of law, war and descent (e.g. Tuisto).

"With due caution we can thus trace the following high gods of the
pagans Goths: the Ansic Gaut for the Greutungian Ostrogoths and
especially for the Amal royal clan; a *Teiws, who was very soon also
called Ares Mars." Wolfram, p. 112

"The Gothic land is here called Tyrfingr ("the Tervingi"), the same
name that is given to the mythical hereditary sword of the Goths.
This presupposes that the Thraco-Scythian Ares-Mars, who was seen as
the incarnation of the people and the land and who also manifested
himself in the shape of a sword, had been accepted as a Gothic god.
And in fact this sort of acculturation can be demonstrated only for
the Tervingi. Now the "Battle of the Goths and the Huns" also knows
the Greutungi name, but here it does not refer to an object or a land
but instead to the "Greutungian Warrior", a demonic-divine person,
namely, Odin himself. Thus the Nordic epic poetry preserved the
geographically determined names of the Goths with remarkable
accuracy. The Greutungi survived as the surname of the Ansic Gaut,
who is at the head of the Amal genealogy, while the Tervingian
designated the land and the sword, the objects in which is embodied
the Scythian-Thracian and from the fourth century the Gothic Ares-
Mars." (p. 27)

Thus, Tuisto, Gothic, Teiws, pGmc Tiwaz, the father of Mannus, Gothic
Manna, Sanskrit Manu, Law of Manu, akin to Rig/Reiks/ruler, giver
of "runes" the secret mysteries of existence.

Anþanareiks