[gothic-l] Re: Illerup objects with runes. to Tore

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 19 06:38:30 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >> As Jordanes writes the goths may have immigated from the Island
> >> scandza around the beginning of our era.
> >

> >Hi Anders,
> >
> >I know that is not your main point, but just to add: Jordanes
actually
> >wrote that the Goths have migrated from the Island of Scandza some
> >1000 years or so before our era!!
> >

> Dirk,
> You are quite right that Jordanes actually wrote that the Goths have
> migrated from the Island of Scandza that looks like a Juniper leave,
the
> shape of Gotland.
>
> I don't think he mentions anything about 1000 years or so before our
era.
> It is rather 300 -200 BC
>
> Tore

Hello Tore,

Jordanes also does not mention 200-300BC either. Wolfram writes in
'Das Reich und die Germanen' (p.58) that Jordanes, based on
Cassiodorus implied that the Goths crossed from the island of Scandza
to the Vistula region in the year 1490BC. This is what I was refering
to when I said 'about 1000BC'.

regards