[gothic-l] Re:_ni_was__im_rumis_in_stada_þamma

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 26 13:29:42 UTC 2001

Hi Leonardo,

indeed, the Gothic word staths "place" is related with German Stadt
"town, city", Swedish "stad" etc. The Common Germanic term
(*statha-z or *stada-z) is derived from the Indo-European root sta:-
"to stand, to stay", meaning "place to stay".

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., Leonardo Hernandez-Cortez <leonardo_hc at y...>
wrote:
> Hi, <BR>
> <BR>
> I just noticed that the Gothic word "stada"
> may be related to the <BR>
> Bavarian word "stadl". "Stadl" can
> mean house, inn, pub, etc...<BR>
>
> Interesting, is it by a chance also related to the
> swedish word "stad" ( town, city ) ?
> Well, I wouldn't be surprised considering the fact
> that in this context we are all talking about germanic
> words. :)
> But still, I would like to know, thank you.
>
> /Leonardo.

The Nissan Sentra
Everything but compact
http://NissanDriven.com