[gothic-l] Re: Crimean Goths ? Where did they up at last ?

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jul 30 16:24:29 UTC 2001

Hi Leonardo and Dirk,

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Leonardo "Hernández-Cortez" <roderic_711 at y...>
> wrote:
> > Is Crimean gothic(I've read that it's really a dialect
> > only ) very different from "the original" language ?
> > Any influences from other cultures(slavs, turks,
> > greeks...) ?
>

> Our linguists will have to answer that, but I think the word list of
> the Flemish ambassador shows influence from other languages
> (Alan/Iranic?)

In the message no. 427 to the Gothic-L, David Salo posted the whole
Crimean Gothic wordlist, together with an excellent analysis.
Regarding the non-Germanic words found in Crimean Gothic, the
following are Iranic:
sada "hundred" (cf. Persian sad)
hazer "thousand" (cf. Persian hazâr)
Probably Iranic is also:
stap "goat" (cf. Old Persian chabish)
Probably of Turkic origin is:
telich "foolish" (cf. Old Turkic teli, Turkish deli)
Among the others words classified by David Salo as "dubious", I think
that two of them could be considered Germanic:
schuos "bride" maybe is in fact *schnos, being cognated with Germ.
Schnur, from the IE root *snus- (whence also Sanskrit snusha, Slavic
snoxa, Latin nurus). In Busbecq's wordlist appears also in other
places u instead of n (printing error?), e.g. fyuf instead of *fynf
"five".
wichtgata "white thing", cf. Goth. hweitata.

Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM