[gothic-l] Re: Alans and Huns

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jun 4 13:31:31 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,

The paper is interesting indeed. Thank you.
Regarding the Ossetic words that sound similar with Germanic words,
I think that there is not impossible to be borrowed from Gothic (maybe
the Ossetians, or at least part of them, are the descendants of those
Alans who lived together with Goths in Crimea or Taman peninsula; in
Crimea the Alans were assimilated by the Goths, but in Taman probably
the Alans assimilated the Goths, and Taman is near to the present-day
home of the Ossetians).
The word gau (Modern German: Gau) is attested also in Gothic:
gawi (Gen. gaujis) "region, district, land, neighbourhood"
Regarding the Gothic equivalent of thau (Germ. tauen, Eng. thaw), it
is not attested in Gothic, but it could be reconstructed the form
*thawjan (cf. Old Eng. thawian > thaw).

Francisc