[gothic-l] Re: Snorri and skaldskaparmal

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Jun 19 09:20:54 UTC 2001

Hi Tore:
>Hi Anders,
>I agree with you.
>In Gotland we say the Swedish "fastland" when we talk about about Sweden.
>
>In Fårö when they do to Gotland they say "Storlandet"

Remember that it was the word "meginland" that we discussed.
"fastland" just came in because I happened to quote Johansson and
Malm. But the word that occurs in Snorri is "meginland".
The two words may have exactly the same meaning. Or maybe not.
A better translation might be "the biggest land" cf. "meginhufr" =
the biggest ship-plank in a viking ship.

Best regards
Keth