[gothic-l] Re: Snorri and skaldskaparmal

Søren Larsen sohela at POST11.TELE.DK
Wed Jun 27 19:39:08 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <malmqvist52 at yahoo.se>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 9:57 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Snorri and skaldskaparmal

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Anders,
> Just a note on ON "meginland":
> An Icelander told me that this corresponds fairly closely to
> the similar sounding English "mainland".
> Heggstad has "hovudland, fastland", which agrees.

On this  translation I trust  Karl G Johansson an Mats Malm, who
translates the oldICELANDIC word with "Fastland".  According to
prismas Engelska ordbok it's continent;( opposite to islands
) mainland. However, I would say that the definition mainland
opposite to islands is the best translation.

Hi

I usually just lurk on this group but I think you chaps should take a
look at the name of the largest island in the Orkney's:
http://www.orkneyjar.com/placenames/pl-isle.htm

Cheers
Soren Larsen