[gothic-l] Re: Christianisation of Crimean Goths

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jun 21 04:23:01 UTC 2001

Dirk,
I found the following about the Goths in the Crimea:

AA Vasiliev, The Goths in the Crimea. Mediaeval academy of America,
Publication N:o 25, Cambridge Mass. 1936

page 3. By the middle of the third century A.D. the Goths had migrated from
the shores of the Baltic Sea and settled in the territory known today as
Southern Russia, particularly along the northern and western shores of the
Black Sea. As a natural result, they penetrated into the Tauric peninsula,
where at that time the Bosporan Kingdom was predominant. The Goths
established their suzerainty over the greater part of that kingdom and took
possession of its fleet, an important economic achievement. With the fleet
they carried out several bold and far-reaching sea raids. These raids. as
well as those of their compatriots from the mouths of the Dniepr and the
Dniester, not only terrorized the eastern, western, and southern shores of
the Black Sea, but were even felt on the coast of the Propontis (the Sea of
Marmora), and in the islands and on the coasts of the Aegean and
Mediterranean.
The original source for information concerning Gothic raids and invasions
before Constantine the Great, and the foundation of all subsequent sources,
is the works of a contemporary Athenian, Herennius Dexippus, whom Photius
calls a second Thucydides; most unfortunately this source has not come down
to us. In the twelve books of his Chronicle Dexippus gave a brief
chronological account of events down to the reign of Emperor Claudius
Gothicus (268-270). His Scythian History described the struggle of the
Romans with the peoples north of the lower Danube and along the northern
shore of the Euxine, especially the Goths; as far as we can judge from the
fragments which have reached us, this covered the years from 238 to 271.
Dexippus was largely used by the so-called Scriptores historiae Augustae,
whose compilation is now attributed by most scholars to the fourth century,
as well as by Zosimus, an historian of the fifth century, and by George
Syncellus, a chronicler of the ninth century.
Tore