[gothic-l] Re: Austrian and Yiddish language-real sound!

angelique_oh at YAHOO.COM angelique_oh at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 6 19:34:03 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Angelique!
> I also have heard a lot of spoken Austrian, and I can affirm
> that it is rather different from "hochdeutsch".

Yes, indeed and thanks to amazon you can hear some Austrian sounds
now!

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Z0E7/028-2520116-0139712

Actually I think you should call me, because it is rather strange to
write about sounds ;-)

mail me privately to angelique_oh at yahoo.com

Angelique

PS:Almost right. exept the last sentence was: aber bleib mir auch
schön gesund und lustig - this "bleib mal", "mach mal" etc.. is very
German

I really would like to talk to you, because I am very much in love
with the language of my hometown and I know, it will not exist for
much more time. There is German TV, migration, Europe unites and all
this...

> [...]
> some other effect. But I am inclined to assume that it is the way
> they used to pronounce it far N-E in Germany. (Prussian?)
>

> >> I will have to defer to your knowledge as a native speaker, but
my
> >> understanding was that in Standard German, ae was pronounced as
in
> >> English "hat" when in closed syllables, but identically with the
>
> I think the Austian ä/ae is much more like an "e" in the same
language,
> than like the "a" in English "hat". The latter I regard as an
example
> of the a-e-ligature sound, the way it is pronounced in Norwegian.
> But note that the Norwegian a-e-ligature sound is often a long
vowel.
> (examples: ære/aere -  sær/saer (like in særdeles)), whereas the
> "a" in English "hat" is only an example of a short vowel of the
same quality.
> (maybe "sad" is an example of the long æ-sound in English.)
>
> >(non-
> >> schwa) <e> in open ones. Do you disagree with this?
>
> I also have difficulty relating to things like "schwa" and "open",
> etc.. But when I concentrate real hard, I do recall that the
> European/non-British
> "a" is often described as an open vowel, and that it refers to the
mouth
> being kept "open", i.e. the jaws being far apart -- as if you are
pronouncing
> a European "a" with your chin dropping down to your chest -- very
much the sound
> the doctor wants you to make when he wants to look at your tongue.
> "closed" is the opposite of "open", and ought to indicate the jaws
> being kept much closer together.
>
> (in such a way that you can only eat pancakes ;)
> sorry -- I couldn't resist the joke!  :-)
>

> >Hm, well, I have never looked at the German language with this
> >grammer things.
> >I just speak it.*lol*
> >But yes, "officially" "ae" ist pronounced like "a" in "hat", like
if
> >one spells something, or so.
> >
> >What do you mean with "closed syllables"?
> >And "(non-schwa) <e> "?????
> >Sorry, I have no idea about grammar, however I know what syllables
> >are ;-)
> >

> >> The spelling represents the YIVO orthography... Yiddish is of
> >course
> >> normally written in the Hebrew alphabet. YIVO aimed to be as
> >phonetic
> >> as possible, and to avoid German-style orthography (e.g. using
<kh>
> >> instead of <ch>)
>
> I once took a look at a Yiddish text, and knowing German, it wasn't
> too difficult to read. The difficulty was only that it was mixed
> with some Hebrew words here and there.
>
> Gothic is however something entirely different.
> (Even if you are very good at German, it is not enough.
> Gothic is like an entirely new language)

Austrian

> >> You're not the first Austrian to tell me this ;)
> >

> >Oh, the Jews and the Austians...old story...
> >if they had nothing in common at all, they would not have had
> >problems with each other....
> >

> >> Zay gezunt un gotish,
> >> Moyshe Dovid Mansfeld (IUSTEINUS)
> >
> >gotisch was i net, ob i bin...
> >oba bleib ma a sche xund und lustig!
>
> I think your sentence shows quite well how much spoken Austrian
> actually differs from "hochdeutsch":
> "Gotisch weiß ich nicht, ob ich bin...
> aber bleib mal schön gesund und lustig!
>
> (vielleicht hab' ich auch nicht alles richtig verstanden ;)

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM